Beef and Lentil Shami Kebabs
These Shami kebabs are a delicious snack from India, serve them up as finger food at your next gathering for something different
- 18 oz ground beef
- 5 button red chillis
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds (crushed)
- 1 cup Bengal gram
- 2 large Onions (sliced)
- 5 Green Chillis
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- 1 cup fresh Coriander leaves
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Egg
- 3 tbsp oil (for frying)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak Bengal gram for about an hour.
- Next drain the water from the Bengal gram and add to large pot.
- Add 1 sliced onion, ginger and garlic paste along with ground beef, cumin, red chilies, tomato, turmeric powder, and coriander seeds. Turn on the heat to medium-high, mix well, and then add 1 cup of water.
- Allow the water to come to the boil, and then lower down the heat to medium-low and let it cook until the ground beef and Bengal gram is fully tender. (25- 30 minutes)
- Once the mince is fully cooked and water has dried; turn off the heat and allow it to cool down. In the meantime, slice the remaining onion into small pieces.
- Put this mixture in a chopper along with coriander, Garam masala powder,and green chilies. Pulse until it is all combined and becomes dough-like.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour so that the mixture becomes handy to make kebabs
- Take some into your palm and form into kebab shapes, these are round and flat, approx 1" thick.
- Heat the cooking oil at medium heat.
- Coat the kebabs in egg
- Shallow fry them until golden brown
- Serve these delicious kebabs with ketchup, mayonnaise, or yogurt.
- Well soaked Bengal gram provides a good texture to the kebabs.