Sometimes it just makes more sense to have a 2 in 1 combination appliance rather than individual pieces that cost more and take up a lot more space. And you can increase any space saving to a whole other level when you choose one of the over the range microwave convection ovens. In this article, we’ll review the top 6 combination appliances in the marketplace.
Unlimited Cooking Capacity and Convenience
A microwave convection oven – especially those designed to be installed “over the range” adds considerable versatility and functionality – particularly to kitchens short on free space. It makes perfect sense for people living in smaller homes, apartments, condos, RVs and even dorm rooms. The microwave setting allows for faster cooking times. But it’s the convection oven that delivers even cooking and beautiful, crispy, golden brown finishes to your dishes. And the best part is that opting for an over the range model doesn’t require any more floor area than your existing oven currently occupies. And your cooking area is contained in one small section of the kitchen.
It Just Makes Sense
Choosing an over the range microwave convection oven allows you to diversify and use cooking methods that aren’t available on a standard microwave. The biggest difference is the healthier and crispier coating that a convection oven and/or air fryer gives you.
With a combination machine you always have ready access to the microwave. But just as easily, you can also bake, roast and broil too – providing you and your family with a vast array of dishes you can prepare at home. By combining these functions (by having both microwave and convection oven capability in an over the range configuration – you further reduce the amount of space designated for cooking. It’s all there in an area that’s less than a square yard in size. Appliances having this combination unit situated above the oven, gives you the full range of cooking capability and it’s all in one area of your kitchen.
Why Choose an Over The Range Microwave Convection Oven?
If you already have a conventional oven that you like, it simply makes a lot of sense to add the convenience a microwave/convection oven brings in the most space-efficient way. And most over the range models come equipped with venting functionality. This works perfectly when using the stovetop below.
For some dishes and gatherings – your full-size oven might be the best tool to use. But that’s probably not always the case. And when you see the kind of functionality they build into today’s best over the range microwave convection ovens – you’ll undoubtedly use this new device far more frequently than any traditional range.
Multiple Uses Make It Practical
Most people use their microwaves to reheat leftovers like last night’s Chinese food – or to quickly prepare a delicious snack like popcorn. But a microwave can be used for more than reheating. For example, you could steam fresh vegetables or cook prepackaged meals in the microwave. Add a convection oven to the mix and you can do much more. Foods that need to be cooked over a long period of time, including roasting meats or vegetables, cooking baked goods and making perfect pizza – you just cannot beat what a convection oven can do. It’s also perfect for or any other item that you want to brown or crisp on top – like casseroles.
Having everything in one section of your kitchen not only saves space but helps keep you organized. All food cooked there is done so in the same square footage. With an over the range microwave convection, you’re using wall space effectively, plus you have a wonderful convenience of options that you might not otherwise have with a standard oven.
Cook Like A Pro
When you combine traditional microwave technology with the unmatched results of convection cooking – you get the best of both worlds – efficiently prepared meals that taste absolutely delicious. And nothing is outside the realm of possibility.
Microwave ovens heat food by making use of microwave radiation. That is, they cook the food from the inside out, which makes for fast heating and cooking. The problem is that with some foods, like pizza crust, fries, and chicken wings – it just tastes better when a crispy, crunchy coating. You just can’t achieve that result in an ordinary microwave. But combine it with convection functionality and you get the benefit of hot air cooking that circulates around the food, cooking it thoroughly and crisping up the exterior beautifully.
Gaining the versatility of a combination unit gives you unlimited opportunity for cooking reheating defrosting baking grilling broiling roasting and steaming. With an over the range microwave convection oven, you also get a built-in range hood for removing steam, smoke, and odors from your kitchen. It’s built right in to the bottom of these over the range microwave convection ovens.
Now, look at the top six over the range microwave/convection ovens we found that are available in the marketplace today.
This model from Sharp scores a respectable 4.4 out of 5 possible stars from almost 400 customers reporting in. Clearly, the overwhelming majority are happy with their purchases. This oven is somewhat compact – with its 1.1 ft.³ capacity. Overall measurements are 29.93 inches wide by 16.34 inches deep by 15.28 inches high. Inside dimensions are as follows: 17 inches wide by 13.5 inches deep by 8.5 inches high from the surface of the turntable to the top of the oven inside. It is quite heavy though, weighing in at a rather hefty 72 pounds.
Sharp designed this over the range microwave convection oven with a stainless steel interior that makes it easy to clean. It’s also equipped with a, interior light and 13 inch turntable. There’s a built-in exhaust system on the bottom, complete with a hood light strong exhaust fan to vent any steam, smoke or odors coming off the stove below. It’s configured to allow for three different venting options – horizontal, vertical as well as ductless recirculation into the room after passing through a charcoal filter. With this setup, the unit vents out of the front and into the kitchen and it works well both in microwave and convection oven mode. It’s equipped with a 300 CFM fan which is not bad at all for a unit such as this.
One thing that’s notably different about this Sharp oven is that the manufacturer provides a 10 year warranty on all major components. That’s significant these days in the world of consumer electronics.
Installation of an over the range unit like this can be challenging and typically requires two people. If you do happen to be installing it yourself (without the help of a local handyman or professional installer) here is an idea that might help. Prepare a base on top of the stove below that can serve as a temporary stand. This will help to position and support the combination microwave convection oven at the correct installation height as you work at lining up the hardware correctly. With the unit resting there, it’s easier to use this temporary support instead of trying to lift the combo unit up from the stove – or worse – the floor.
Even when following instructions – it can be a difficult job. Don’t say we didn’t warn you. If you’re not well-versed in this type of installation – you’re probably better off outsourcing it to someone who has experience with these microwaves.
But once it’s in – you’re good to go. You’ll get consistent results from your new convection/microwave oven and probably use your regular oven a lot less. Chances are after using this combination unit you’ll come to the realization of how wasteful and inefficient traditional ovens can be.
– Works really well in both microwave and convection oven mode
– Reliable appliance that works as expected
– Easy to use
– Could serve you well as your primary oven – depending on your requirements
Performs reliably for years
– Sleek, stylish microwave and convection oven
– Fits perfectly into an RV’s kitchen area
– Once you start using a combination microwave and convection oven, you’ll never want to go back to a standard microwave again
– Sharp is a well-known and respected brand of appliance and they make products that last
– Quite the versatile piece of kitchen equipment
– Excellent for baking and roasting (it’s a really good alternative to firing up the full-size oven in hot weather)
– Heats food evenly and consistently
– Reheat sensor works really well on this microwave
– Convection oven is perfect for those of us who like to bake
– Audible alerts only sound once (so you won’t get annoyed)
– Would be more useful if it was brighter inside
– When in convection mode, the turntable needs to rotate thereby limiting the pan size that can fit
– It’s noisy (like most microwaves are)
– Poor packaging on this item can lead to customers receiving damaged goods (please inspect upon arrival)
– Not the roomiest inside
– Exhaust fan is not all that effective
– Cleaning inside can be a challenge
– Light for over the range is quite low (it’s accent lighting rather than primary)
– Difficult to install on your own (all of these wall-mounted units can be difficult to handle)
#2: KitchenAid Stainless Steel Over The Range Microwave Oven
This oven has managed to score a solid 4.5 out of 5 possible stars – with more than 1700 actual buyers reporting. That’s huge! But if you’ve ever owned a KitchenAid appliance before, you’re probably not surprised by this favorable rating. This is one from an impressive lineup of KitchenAid appliances that all work really well and have attracted many fans around the globe.
Overall dimensions for this over the range microwave oven are as follows: 30 inches wide by 17 inches deep and 17.12 inches high. The capacity of this KitchenAid microwave is a large 1.9 cubic feet. It comes with 10 different power levels and a powerful, 400 CFM venting fan.
This KitchenAid model uses 1000 Watts of power and it comes in a stainless steel finish. Also included is a timer, interior light, large 14 inch diameter turntable – plus a childproof lock. Featured buttons include options to add 30 or 60 seconds – which can be very handy at times when your dish just needs a little more time at the same temperature.
It’s a combination oven (microwave and convection) that is designed to be mounted to the back wall over the range. There’s also a cool (though optional) trim kit available should you want to make this look like it’s a custom built-in installation – for the higher end look.
Just like with other KitchenAid appliances, you can count on stylish design, intelligent engineering, and reliable performance in this over the range microwave.
– Controls and options make it easy to use (if you can read, you can use this oven safely and effectively)
– Cooks your food up to 25% faster
– It comes with a steamer
– Powerful fan provides stronger than average ventilation (It comes with six fan speeds)
– Convection feature makes baking easy and fun
– Works well and does what you’d expect it to do
– It is actually much more than just a microwave and you will discover new ways to use this KitchenAid regularly)
– Reasonably quiet operations (with the except of the exhaust fan when on high)
– Surprisingly large interior
– Performs really well with even and consistent cooking
– Great quality – there’s no doubt it’s a well-made oven
– Ventilation hood is quite effective in getting rid of smoke and steam
– Cleaning up the inside is easy with a microfiber cloth (simply wipe it clean after each use)
– Made an America (what was once the norm is now the exception)
– Easy to use and all options are accessible (even for those of us who are a little shorter)
– Gives your kitchen a stylish upscale look
– Good quality piece of equipment
– It is a little noisy when it first comes on (because the default is set to the highest setting)
– No detailed instructions seem to be available for operating the convection side of this oven
– Would benefit from a louder tone (for those of us whose hearing is less than perfect)
– Would be better if you could see the buttons clearly when the lighting is poor
– The door is kind of wide (though it’s a spacious oven) so you have to watch out when opening
#3: Whirlpool White Over The Range Microwave/Convection Hood Combination
This Whirlpool unit scores a solid 4.5 out of 5 available stars from just over 1000 actual customer reviews. It’s a larger combination microwave and convection oven with overall dimensions as follows: 29.94 inches wide by 16 inches deep, with a height of 17.13 inches.
This option from whirlpool features a 1.9 cubic foot capacity (with a large 14 inch turntable) and uses 1100 watts of power. It has 10 different levels and a strong 400 CFM exhaust fan to help remove steam, smoke and odors from the kitchen.
One of the cool features about this microwave/convection combo is the accuracy of the scan to cook technology it deploys. This option allows you to scan any frozen foods you want and allow the oven to calculate the proper cooking time and temperature to make it just right.
But that’s not all, this smart-enabled device helps take your cooking to the next level. Smart technology means that you can use your smart phone or tablet to send cooking instructions to the oven. In turn, the Whirlpool microwave will automatically adjust its settings based on the recipe you enter. The result is fast and delicious meals made as easy as possible.
You can also start your oven remotely and set it microwave or convection cooking so your meals are warmed up and ready when you want to eat.
Clean up as quick and easy too. Simply use a damp microfiber cloth and hot water. It’s best to avoid all chemical solutions because some of them can do damage to your appliance.
This smart combination microwave oven automatically tracks the cooking progress of your food and makes any necessary adjustments.
Unlike some gadgets and smart devices, with this oven you don’t need to be a tech expert in order to use this oven easily. Simply connect the Whirlpool app, add your appliance and follow the guidelines. Soon you’ll be operating your new combination oven like a pro.
Provided selections include add 30 seconds, popcorn, potato, frozen vegetables, fresh vegetables, control lock, cook power, cook time, defrost, kids menu, reheat, soften, melt, sound on and off and steam. That’s a lot of one-touch options that make cooking with this thing an absolute breeze.
– Looks sleek and stunning
– High capacity microwave combo
– Solid and reliable appliance from a brand that’s been around for years
– Comes equipped with a charcoal odor removing filter
– Much more convenient and functional than a standard microwave
– Easy to use and program
– Wi-Fi feature is surprisingly good and easy to hook up
– Quiet operating microwave and fan on lower speeds
– Food cooked in this oven tastes delicious
– Very spacious interior (you can fit more in here than in some others we tested)
– Duct free range hood works surprisingly well
– It’s nice to be able to put a quick meal or snack in a smaller oven – without heating up a full-size oven or using the stove top
– Easy to see the food as it’s cooking through the door
– Love the interior – it cleans up easily
– Clearly visible controls along the bottom are particularly helpful for those of a smaller stature
– Recessed handle is very convenient
– Alexa found the device immediately and now this oven is easy to control using voice
– With a 1.9 cubic feet capacity, this microwave/convection oven is large
– Convection works perfect for making fries, roasting vegetables or meats and for baking treats while the microwave is best for reheating, defrosting, cooking frozen vegetables, or making popcorn
– Exhaust fan does a great job (although it is loud on high)
– Glass door can get steamed up making it difficult to see some items inside in some cases
– The start button could be better marked and clearly labeled
– Door latch can work its way little loose over time
– Time required to preheat the oven in convection mode can seem wasteful
– May be difficult to hear when the cooking is done for anyone with less than perfect hearing
– Oven door is quite large and swings out further than you might expect
#4: JennAir 30-Inch Stainless Steel Over The Range Microwave Convection Oven
This JennAir combination microwave and convection oven scores 4.5 stars (out of 5) with less than 100 buyers reporting. It’s a solid rating for sure, But the smaller number of customer reviews here is indicative of a product that hasn’t been available in the market for long – or one that comes with a higher than average price tag.
This is another sizeable over the range microwave convection oven combination unit. As for actual dimensions, they are as follows: 30 inches in width by 17 inches in depth by 17.63 inches in height. Approximate weight is 70 pounds. Included in the package are two racks and a 14 inch diameter turntable, plus grease filter for the built-in vent.
This oven has a maximum capacity of 1.9 cubic feet, with 10 different power levels and a powerful 400 CFM fan for ventilation. And there’s a two year parts and labor warranty included.
In microwave mode, this one uses 1000 Watts of power. But when operating as a convection oven, it uses 1500 Watts. There’s an integrative pocket handle built into the door – which is a convenient feature. Not only does it look sharp, you won’t have to worry about accidentally bumping into the handle since it’s recessed. By the way… the door swings to the left when you open it and there is no option to alter the swing to the other side.
You can use either exterior or ductless venting with this model. And with the stainless steel interior – it’s easier to clean than most. Quick touch settings include: add a minute, defrost, reheat, and cook time. This unit also uses sensor cooking, so it can easily automate the process for you.
Inside you’ll find a mirror-like interior making it easy to wipe clean. Operations are remarkably quiet too and the presets provided are super handy. It’s a pretty intuitive machine and the layout is easy enough that you can figure out how to use it without even referring to the manual – although it’s always a good idea to use the owner’s manual as a starting point.
It’s obvious that a significant amount of thought went into the design and engineering of this microwave convection combo – and that’s a good thing. Underneath the microwave, there is a cool looking piece of glass that flips down over the hood fan and lights.
This JennAir is a higher priced over the range microwave convection oven combination. And there’s no doubt about it – this thing looks high end all the way, no matter how you look at it. You could always buy a standard microwave oven and spend less. But you just won’t find anything quite like this in the low-cost microwave market. For those who know the brand and have the budget, this combination microwave/convection oven is a no brainer.
– Plenty of power to serve any home
– Easy to use
– Cooks food evenly and it tastes great
– Operates quietly
– Looks slick and high end
– Does everything you could ask of it and more
– Well-built quality (it’s exactly what you’d expect from JennAir if you’ve ever used one of their appliances before)
– Bakes foods to perfection (it cooks and defrost perfectly too)
– It’s very convenient having a microwave and oven at the ideal height
– Recessed handle works really well and makes the unit look that much cleaner and stylish
– Sound of the chime when food is ready is a delight to listen to (not many brands can make this claim)
– Large door makes it easy to peek inside as your food is cooking (with good light it’s easy to do
– Cleans up quickly and easily
– Quiet and intuitive
– Features excellent lighting
– Better exhaust fan than most
– Impressive functionality and versatility that can’t be beat
– Cooks baked goods as well as any oven
– Relatively easy to install (it is heavy though, so best handled by 2 strong adults)
– Simple, easy-to-understand display and controls
– Makes a frozen pizza from the supermarket almost taste like pizzeria quality
– Venting is a little on the weaker side despite the powerful fan (boiling water produces a lot of steam that steam doesn’t seem to be vacuumed up by the ventilation system)
– In order to shut off the exhaust fan, you have to cycle through all six speeds (since the default is set at the highest speed)
– It’s hard to see the touch controls in low light and conditions
– A little pricey compared to other models (but the quality is definitely top-drawer)
– Easy to get marked up with fingerprints
#5: Bosch 30 Inch Stainless Steel Over The Range Microwave Convection Oven (800 series)
Here’s another solid performer that a handful of previous buyers have rated as a stellar 4.5 out of 5 stars. It’ features a large 1.8 cubic foot capacity – so you can use this microwave/convection combo for just about any dish. This oven actually measures 29.87 inches wide by 15.87 inches deep by 17 1/2 inches high. It features 10 different power levels and a 385 CFM multiple speed fan that’s more powerful than a lot of others out there, smoke, steam, grease and odors are readily removed.
With this Bosch combination appliance, you get a large cooking capacity and a display console that is easy to read and operate. Also included are built in timers and an automatic shut off which can be useful when you’re unsure about cooking times for a particular food. Like most of the units that made the cut, this one is finished in stainless steel – inside and out.
It’s useful having a microwave like this in your kitchen since the convection cooking functionality delivers an oven-like crisp result. With the stainless steel interior it’s durable and clean up quick and almost effortless. Since the overall size of this oven is substantial, you have maximum range of capability in terms of what you decide to cook in it.
– Functions like a regular oven that is easier and takes less time to operate
– Consistently reliable appliance
– Cooks food that tastes really good
– Elegant yet stylish appearance that would fit well into any kitchen
– Makes perfect popcorn every time
– Installation instructions provided were surprisingly accurate and helpful (very rare in consumer appliances)
– Numbers on the touchpad could have been bigger and therefore more useful to some
– Takes longer to heat up liquids than some other microwaves
– Fan can seem a little loud
#6: Forte 1.5 Cubic Foot Capacity Over The Range Microwave Convection Oven (5 series)
Here’s a product that appears to be brand new in the marketplace. It’s the Forte 1.5 Cubic Foot Microwave/Convection combo. It offers 10 power levels and uses 1000 Watts of power and plugs into any standard 120 Volt outlet.
Essentially this model from Forte is a 30 inch over the range microwave convection oven that comes equipped with a 300 CFM venting fan. It also features an LED light underneath to illuminate the cook top below. It comes equipped with a child lock for safety, giving parents peace of mind. It also boasts a stainless steel interior and built-in sensor cooking that automatically calculates time and temperature settings, making it surprisingly easy to use.
It’s a versatile and quick multi functional microwave/convection oven that allows you to complete a wide range of functions and enjoy your favorite foods whenever you want.
– Versatile appliance
– Quick and easy to use
– Built-in sensor automatically calculates cooking time and power levels
– Comes with a two-year warranty
– Since it’s a new product, there isn’t much of a buyer history
With their space-saving designs and multiple use capabilities, over the range microwave convection ovens have become increasingly popular in the marketplace. Manufacturers have taken note of this trend and there are more of these combination ovens on the market these days than at any time. Our top pick overall is the Sharp Model R1874T.
Use our research in a way that helps you make the best choice. When you choose from any of the six models featured here, you have a higher probability of enjoying a satisfying experience. If you’ve got the budget, you won’t find a better over the range microwave/convection oven than our recommended JennAir model.