You’ve landed on this page to learn the truth about the best Scanpan cookware set. And that speaks volumes about you. It tells us that you’ve got a discerning eye and good taste. You know quality kitchenware when you see it. No matter what your skill level, chances are you enjoy cooking and take pride in the delicious dishes you prepare. So it’s only fitting that you have the right tools for the job.
Table of Contents
- A History of Leading-Edge Nonstick Technology
- Ready To Up Your Game?
- Various Lines Available – Including Our Pick For The “Best Scanpan Cookware” Set
- Protect Your Investment
- Top Of The Line
- Deglazing Stubborn Stains
- Scanpan CTX 14 Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set with Brushed Chrome Exterior
- What’s In The Box?
- Can Be Used Anywhere
- Best Practices
- Hot Spots No More
- How Long Can You Expect Your Scanpan Cookware To Last?
- How To Get The Most out Of Your Scanpan Cookware
A History of Leading-Edge Nonstick Technology
Scanpan designs and produces a varied line of pots and pans that come from Denmark. In fact, this company has been producing cookware for more than 50 years now – and they make some of the best on the market. Currently, they are one of the world’s leading producers of PF0A-free nonstick pots and pans and export to more than 50 countries worldwide.
Scanpan product engineers set out to develop the best and safest-to-use nonstick cookware. Multiple layers fuse together to form a stronger coating that generates quick and even heat across the across the pan’s entire surface.
What Scanpan offers is an innovative and more environmentally-friendly nonstick cookware. They’ve developed their own proprietary, five-layer reinforced nonstick coating. Sure, anyone can purchase any Scanpan pots and pans they desire. But the average shopper isn’t a likely candidate. We’re willing to bet that the lion’s share of Scanpan customers are pro chefs, or home cooks who love what they do in the kitchen. This brand is popular with “foodies” in general because these folks recognize the importance of quality and detail when it comes to creating amazing dishes from the kitchen.
Interestingly, this brand claims that all of their pans share these features:
– oven safe to 500°F
– PFOA free
– Metal utensil safe
– Dishwasher safe
– Made in Denmark
– Made from recycled aluminum
– Pan body is constructed of a five ply stainless steel and aluminum combination
– Nonstick coating on the inside
Ready To Up Your Game?
Scanpan cookware enables anyone with an interest in cooking to cook like a pro. These skillets give you quality searing and braising – plus even cooking throughout. They also deglaze effortlessly. With Scanpan, you get a healthier cooking option because there’s no oil or butter necessary, thanks to the patented nonstick surface.
According to the manufacturer, their nonstick coating (called “Stratanium”) is actually harder than steel. And that’s what helps make the clean up afterwards easy as pie.
Various Lines Available – Including Our Pick For The “Best Scanpan Cookware” Set
Scanpan produces a number of versions of their cookware including Classic, Professional, CTX, ProIQ, and Haptiq. All of these are PFOS and PF0A-free. They’re also oven-safe up to 500°F and according to the marketing material – metal utensils are safe to use in these pots and pans and they are dishwasher-safe too.
Protect Your Investment
However, we recommend not using the dishwasher and instead washing these pans carefully by hand, while using only soft silicone utensils. In fact, that’s a good basic rule to follow with any nonstick pans – if you want them to last.
Let’s face it – a good set of Scanpan cookware doesn’t come cheap. And pots and pans of varying qualities look similar. So most people overlook one of the best brands they could ever own.
Top Of The Line
This is some of the finest kitchen cookware you’ll ever have the privilege of using. But it is an investment, so you’ll want to protect your pots and pans to get multiple years of reliable service out of them. To that end, we recommend providing the best possible care to your new cookware set. That means never ever putting it in the dishwasher and only washing it by hand gently. You should avoid any dishwashing soap containing abrasives that can damage the finish of your cookware. The better you care for your pots and pans the better they will serve you.
Deglazing Stubborn Stains
With Scanpan’s substantial nonstick coating, you should never need more than a light washing when used the right way. It’s important to clean your skillets after each use. If you use any oil, be sure to deglaze your pans completely to get rid of all traces of oil.
To deglaze, pour hot water (fresh from the kettle) into your just used pan. Allow it to cool for a minute or two, but it should still be hot. Never pour cold water into a hot pan or you run the risk of warping the bottom of the pan. Don’t ask us how we know, but when this happens, your pan will no longer sit flat on your stove top. And that means uneven cooking and unending frustration.
Add a drop of a soft dishwashing liquid and then bring the mix to a gentle boil on the stove. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t boil over. Next, turn off the stove, let the pan cool down cool and then drain the soapy mixture. Gently wash the pan with a soft cloth or sponge. Then rinse and dry thoroughly.
Be careful when putting it away. If possible, arrange your pans so that they are not touching other pieces that could potentially scratch the surface. If you take care your best Scanpan cookware this way, chances are you’ll be like numerous buyers who’ve already enjoyed 10, 15 – even 20 years or more – of service from their pots and pans.
Scanpan CTX 14 Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set with Brushed Chrome Exterior
After closely reviewing all of the product lines offered by this manufacturer, we narrowed our recommendation down to this one. This CTX line is the ultimate in Danish cookware – according to the manufacturer. And it is the best Scanpan cookware set for most kitchens – based on our extensive research.
It’s not surprising that this set scores a remarkable 4.9 out of five possible stars, albeit from a relatively small number of customers (just over 30). Still, that’s quite a rating.
Scanpan’s CTX line combines alternating levels of stainless steel and aluminum which provides excellent and even temperature control. This set features a stunning brushed stainless steel exterior, as well as a PFOA-free nonstick surface which is made from ceramic and titanium.
What’s In The Box?
– 8 inch stainless steel nonstick skillet
– 10.25 inch stainless steel nonstick Skillet
– 2 quart stainless steel nonstick Saucepan with stainless steel and tempered glass lid
– 2.75 quart stainless steel nonstick Saucepan with stainless steel and tempered glass lid
– 4 quart stainless steel nonstick Saucepan with stainless steel and tempered glass lid
– 2.75 quart stainless steel nonstick Sauté Pan with stainless steel and tempered glass lid
– 5.5 quart stainless steel nonstick Sauté Pan with stainless steel and tempered glass lid
– 7.5 quart stainless steel nonstick round Dutch Oven with stainless steel and tempered glass lid
* Lids are interchangeable between the pots and pans.
Can Be Used Anywhere
Scanpan cookware is safe up to 500°F and is excellent for all types of stoves including: electric, gas, glass top, and induction stoves. Handles are made of cast stainless steel and they tend to stay cooler longer on the stove top. But these handles can get hot over time – so be careful. It’s always a good idea to have a pair of oven mitts nearby. We recommend silicone oven mitts as they provide more than enough insulation, while giving you a solid grip on any handle.
Its unique design results in good temperature stability and the nonstick coating is so effective that these pans practically rinse clean simply with hot water.
In their marketing materials, Scanpan boasts that their cookware is “dishwasher safe”. But on their website, they recommend that you wash it by hand. Any experienced chef will tell you the same. Treat your pans with good care and you’ll get much more value from them.
If kids or other family members will be using your cookware, don’t allow anyone to use any kind of metal utensil and show them how to clean these pans properly. It’s also imperative that (as with any nonstick surface) you should never cook on high heat. “Low and slow” is the way to go. Some say you can actually go up to medium heat – but not much higher. That’s what will give you the best results every time.
To remove stubborn stains, add a little soap and hot water to the pan and bring it almost to the boiling point. Bring it to a boil then let it cool down completely. Any food residue left tends to come off quickly and easily with some gentle scraping with a silicone spatula.
Having a reliable and safe nonstick coating is most important when cooking in a skillet. It’s also a great advantage to have in a Dutch oven or large pot whenever you’re making soups, chowders, chilies, curries, stews, or sauces.
Hot Spots No More
With even heat distribution you don’t have to worry about hotspots that cause food to cook unevenly. When these skillets are used properly, there’s typically a flawless release of the food cooked inside. And cleanup tends to be quick and easy.
The stylish design and solid quality is evident all around – even on the luxurious handles. It features heavy-duty polished rivets that blend in by matching the finish on the handles. Also, these fasteners are built to last.
How Long Can You Expect Your Scanpan Cookware To Last?
That’s a loaded question and there are variables. But when you’re paying a premium for quality cookware – you expect to get years of reliable service from it. And for the overwhelming majority of buyers of Scanpan that seems to be the case, although there are some buyers who have complained about the nonstick coating scratching or wearing out in a few years or less. But what’s important to note is that the percentage of those problems is far less than with other nonstick brands.
I suspect that most people provide a better level of care for pots and pans that cost more then the cheaper varieties. Some people tend to take their low cost kitchenware for granted and treat those pieces almost as disposable items.
How To Get The Most out Of Your Scanpan Cookware
– wash gently by hand and without any abrasives
– avoid high heat – keep it low to medium at most
– avoid aerosol cooking sprays (they can be harmful on nonstick surfaces)
– Avoid putting it in the oven (although it is suggested that you can, nonstick surfaces are best left for stovetop use only)
– avoid rapid temperature changes that can cause warping (do not put cold water in a hot pan)
Among The Best Cookware on the Market
The Holy Grail is a quality nonstick pan that last for decades and continues to deliver superior performance. And Scanpan delivers a quality experience over a longer period of time than most. Heavier, thicker, better-constructed pans like these have a bulkier feel and tend to hold heat much better than thin pans. This seems to run true whether the material used is cast-iron, aluminum, copper, or some other material.
A Scanpan set of pots and pans well taken care of is probably going to last you considerably longer than most other nonstick cookware.
– Cleans up easily with soap and water (easiest cleanup ever)
– Works on all types of stovetops (even induction)
– Heats up quickly
– Seared perfectly when tested on steaks and tofu
– Brushed stainless steel exterior looks sharp and is easy to clean
– Pans have as a substantial weight and feel to them which leads to even heat distribution, better cooking and perfect browning
– Aesthetically pleasing design that functions well (best designed nonstick skillet on the market)
– Durable pot and pan set
– Superior overall construction and design (handles, lids, rivets are quality and these pans keep their shape (they’re also beautiful to look at so you’ll want to use them often)
– Provides a substantial amount of cooking surface that heats evenly
– Lifetime warranty
– Sears steak and tofu beautifully – cooks eggs, steak, and fish all with excellent results
– Superb quality
– This nonstick brand seems to last longer than others
– Made from recycled aluminum (which is much better for the environment)
– Makes cooking an absolute pleasure
– Expensive cookware set
– for some, the nonstick finish has deteriorated prematurely
– When used on a gas stove they can discolor quickly
– Weight is substantial and may be too heavy for some
– Nonstick coating is fragile for some and difficult to clean for others
– Contains PTFE
We heartily recommend this CTX as the best Scanpan Cookware for most people. It’s a premium brand, but used and cared for properly, you’ll see that it beats every other brand that you’ve ever used before. It heats up rapidly, cooks and browns evenly, and produces outstanding foods that you and your family will love.
There’s no doubt in our minds that Scanpan makes good quality cookware. And although it’s more expensive than a lot of competing products, you’ll find that it’s an absolute pleasure to use. If it’s time you outfit your kitchen with quality new cookware, you’ll be thrilled with the Scanpan set found here.