Searching for the best small air fryer? Then you’ve landed in the right place. That’s because we’ve spent countless hours doing extensive research for you. We checked out in detail every small air fryer currently available (as well as some that are not). Our purpose here is to save you time to make it easier to find the air fryer that’s the perfect fit for you.
Table of Contents
- Air Fryers – The Best “New” Kitchen Appliance
- Advantages of Small Air Fryers
- Easiest Way To Test The Waters
- You Can’t Beat The Taste
- Slash the Amount of Oil in Your Diet
- A Healthier Choice
- Why Choose A Small Air Fryer?
- Best Small Air Fryer – Today’s Top 5 Models
- What’s In The Box?
- What’s In The Box?
- What’s In The Box?
- The Verdict
Air Fryers – The Best “New” Kitchen Appliance
So you’ve heard about air fryers and now you’re considering getting one for yourself. Nice! For the past couple of years now, air fryers have become the hottest new electric kitchen appliance anywhere. It seems that wherever we go these – people are talking about air fryers.
While there are a number of different brands available – it can be a daunting task to make the right choice until you’re up to speed on air fryers in general. The thing is that the best small air fryer can do almost everything that a large air fryer can do. The major difference is that smaller fryers have less capacity.
Advantages of Small Air Fryers
What’s wonderful about opting for a reliable small air fryer as your first is that you can get to enjoy your favorite foods – – tender and juicy inside with a crispy exterior. It won’t take up much countertop space either. These small air fryers are as compact as can be. But if you’re limited for counter space, you can simply tuck your small air fryer away in a cabinet when you’re not actively using it.
But here’s the thing… Once you begin using an air fryer and enjoying your favorite foods, you will probably want to use it regularly. They’re much faster than conventional ovens and super easy to use. But it’s the taste – that delicious “air fried” crunch without the oil – that everybody loves that has helped make air fryers so popular.
Air fryers are like mini convection ovens in that they use hot air that is circulated around the food in order to cook it. What the air fryer does is it gives you a fried-like texture on the outside, while cooking the food evenly throughout. It makes the best fries, tater tots, chicken wings and cauliflower bites.
From a taste profile, air fried food is similar to deep-fried. But it uses little to no oil. So you get the amazing taste without all that fat and unnecessary calories. So air fryers are a much healthier option to choose.
Easiest Way To Test The Waters
A mini air fryer is the best way to try one of these beauties out in your home. They are economical and compact. You can use them anywhere – even in the smallest kitchen or office. They’re perfect for a college dorm room, RV, camper, or cottage.
You’ll find that the best small air fryers range from 1.6 quart to 2.2 quart capacity. The footprint they occupy on your counter is similar to that of a toaster. So it doesn’t take out a whole lot of space and you can put it away again after it cools down.
It could be argued that small air fryers are best suited to single people or couples. If you’re cooking for just one or two, you may find these air fryers to be the perfect size. But truthfully – anyone could benefit by having a small air fryer around. They’re great for teens to heat up snacks after school. They’re also useful when you want to a side dish – like air fried Brussels sprouts – to a complete meal you’re preparing.
You Can’t Beat The Taste
If you’ve never tasted food out of an air fryer before you’re going to be thrilled with the results. This may happen with the first dish you prepare, or it may take a little tinkering to get your food exactly the way you like it. In any event, you will enjoy a taste that is undoubtedly special.
Slash the Amount of Oil in Your Diet
Air fryers use way less oil. In fact, you can often get away without any oil at all it – depending on the dish you’re preparing. But a little oil can go along way in an air fryer. You need only drops instead of quarts. Compared to a deep fryer for something like fries or chicken wings – the required oil differential is huge. With an air fryer – you get crunchy fries that are tender on the inside without being bathed in all that unhealthy oil.
After you’ve used it for a while, chances are your air fryer will become your go-to appliance. We use ours more than we use our microwave and toaster combined. It’s that handy. And the food always comes out tasting great. These compact air fryers plug into any standard 115 V outlet. So as long as you’ve got somewhere to plug it in, you can enjoy the great taste of air fried food.
A Healthier Choice
Air fryers are great for weight loss because you’re not getting all those extra and unnecessary calories. Weight loss isn’t the only health perk either. Part of the problem with oil consumption is that its damaging affects cannot be seen on the outside. Fats like oils can build up on the inside of artery walls and can cause serious health issues. Cutting down on or eliminating deep fried foods can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
Since you now have an option of going with an air fryer instead of a deep fryer – it clearly makes sense from a better health point of you.
For those of us who love fried foods, air fryers may be the ultimate solution. You don’t have all that dangerously hot oil around and your kitchen won’t smell like the local greasy spoon restaurant.
Why Choose A Small Air Fryer?
These units are perfect for busy people. That’s because air frying is basically hands-off cooking. It’s a “set it and forget it” process. Once the timer sounds, take out the food and enjoy. It’s an excellent choice for anyone who loves great-tasting food that’s healthier than a lot of other options out there. If you’ve got limited kitchen or counter space – a small air fryer like the ones we recommend below makes a ton of sense.
It’s ideal for cramped living quarters like small apartments or condos. It’s also excellent for older folks who want to enjoy crispy, tasty food – without needing a deep fryer. Teens love it because it’s a cool device for reheating meals and snacks quickly and easily. And a small air fryer like the ones will cover here are perfect for singles because you get one to two size portions. College students love it for preparing comfort food like fries and chicken nuggets or wings.
Best Small Air Fryer – Today’s Top 5 Models
#1: GoWISE USA Electric Mini Air Fryer
This GoWISE mini air fryer has a 1.7 quart capacity. It’s perfect for anyone with a small kitchen – college students in dorms, RVs and trailers owners as well as apartment dwellers. But you don’t have to live in a tiny home to enjoy the benefits of these compact air fryers.
GoWISE USA air fryers are available in three colors – black, mint, and red. All colors have silver accents (mostly handles and trim).
This is one of the more popular ones among the best small air fryers out there. It’s scores an impressive 4.7 out of 5 available stars – from nearly 10,000 actual customers. That’s huge, since only 1 out of about every 20 buyers leave any review of any kind. Clearly, this small air fryer has turned a lot of buyers into happy campers.
This air fryer is perfect for anyone who normally cooks for one or two people. As an example, you can cook two fish fillets, six chicken wings, one 6-inch personal pizza, or up to a pound of fresh-cut or frozen fries.
You can prepare foods quickly and easily. It’s perfect for anyone who loves to cook. Picky eaters who won’t necessarily eat the regular meals you prepared. And it’s great for anyone on the go because it’s far quicker to give you food it taste like it came right out of the oven or deep friar in a fraction of the time.
This particular machine is great for air frying, reheating, toasting and cooking frozen foods – or for warming up a dish that’s cooled down. It’s ideal for both meals and snacks.
With a control panel that features a touch-screen menu, it’s easy to use this air fryer. Simply set a time and a temperature. Then start cooking at the push of a button. You can extend your cooking time up to 60 minutes allowing you to cook virtually any dish – at temperatures ranging from 180 to 400°F.
It’s easy to cook with and clean up after. The nonstick basket inside is a sizable 4 inches by 6.5 inches. So it’s a pretty good size for one or two people. Parents of picky kids can get a lot of value from this air fryer. Give your children something cooked inside and odds are they’ll probably enjoy it.
What’s In The Box?
GoWISE mini air fryer with 1.7 quart capacity
Product dimensions are as follows: 11 inches high by 9 inches deep by 8 inches wide. It uses 1000 Watts and plugs into any 120 Volt outlet.
This small air fryer cooks all kinds of things to perfection including popcorn shrimp, nuggets, cauliflower bites, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli and chicken breasts. And it even bakes things like cornbread. All you do is either select the preset, or set the time and temperature to your liking. Of course, it’s important to shake the basket every five minutes to make sure your food cooks evenly.
– Clean up is a breeze
– Cooks much faster than a regular oven (It’s easy to cook double batches because the food cooks quickly)
– Works well and is easy to use
– If you’ve never used an air fryer before you may find that there’s a slight learning curve (But the easiest way is to cook in small batches which is what this mini air fryer does perfectly)
– It’s a space saver doesn’t occupy a ton of room on your counter
– Good build quality
– Digital display reads clearly
– Minimalist look and style (Sleek design makes it easy to keep the exterior clean)
– Preheating is not necessary (Simply put your food in hit the start button and it’s cooking)
– Cleaner than using a deep fryer
– Makes amazing air fried Brussels sprouts and potatoes – corn on the cob too
– Nonstick coating on the basket can wear off
– Does not have a removable basket (the whole tray comes out)
– Lights are a little too dim for some
– The amount of food you can cook in a compact air fryer like this is limited
#2: Chefman Compact 2 Quart Air Fryer
Another popular small air fryer is this Chefman 2 L model. It’s a space-saving size that is easy to use and easy to clean up afterwards.
This air fryer posts a 4.6 star rating from nearly 12,500 authentic customers. It’s priced like a countertop toaster – but is so much more versatile. If you’re looking for your first ever air fryer – Chefman makes it easily affordable.
This one comes complete with a timer and automatic shut off function. You can adjust the temperature to suit and enjoy crispy coated food like wings – that are also tender juicy on the inside.
Who is this best for? It’s an ideal air fryer to use in limited spaces. This includes college dorms, offices, basement apartments, condos, RVs, trailers and tiny homes.
This Chefman model features a detachable BPA-free basket and a cool touch exterior – so you don’t have to worry about burning your hands while using this air fryer. Obviously, you need to follow instructions for safe operations.
It’s an excellent option for cooking everything from chicken to tater tots. This works great with frozen veggies too, or to warm a delicious dessert right out of the fridge.
The 2 quart fryer basket and tray are removable and therefore easy to clean. Although it is suggested that these are dishwasher safe, we strongly recommend hand-washing only to protect that delicate nonstick coating.
What’s In The Box?
Cook anything from chicken wings to fries and mozzarella sticks. Any food that you would normally cook in the oven can be done in about half the time in this beautiful little appliance.
Some say that their Chefman air fryer has a strong factory smell when it arrives. This is easy to get rid of by washing the removable tray in hot water and using vinegar to wipe down the entire surface inside and out prior to using.
After you’ve cleaned everything completely, run the air fryer for 20 minutes at 400° without anything in it. Then add a little vinegar and lemon juice (one tbsp of each) to an oven safe container vinegar and lemon juice and turn the air fryer on for a couple of minutes. Remove the vinegar and lemon juice and your air fryer should be good to go.
– Gives you a “close to deep-fried” taste
– Can accommodate two large bone-in chicken thighs, or enough shrimp or fries for two people
– A good option for singles and couples
– Lightweight and compact
– Excellent option for those hot summer months when you don’t want to turn on the oven and heat up the house
– It’s hands-free cooking at its best
– Simple to operate and easy to clean
– Cooks food evenly and crisply
– Takes up very little space – so you can leave it out or put it away when you’re not using it
– A little too small for those with hearty appetite
– Temperature dial can be difficult to read for anyone with less than perfect vision
– Tiny silicone protectors can fall off and get lost
– Times and temperatures may need to be adjusted to suit
– Only available in black
#3: Dash Compact Air Fryer – 2 Quart Capacity
Here’s another 2 quart air fryer that is perfect for singles or couples. It’s available in five different color options including: black, grey, aqua, red and white.
It’s a healthier way to enjoy crispy fried food. It’s easy and quick and safe for the whole family. Even kids can use it. It’s great for picky eaters of all ages because air frying gives a better taste to many foods.
The Dash air fryer only weighs 5.7 pounds and measures 10.2 inches x 8.1 inches x 11.4 inches. It’s easy to lift to move out of your cabinets and back again if you don’t have enough room for a permanent countertop space.
This one is hugely popular, capturing a solid 4.5 out of 5stars – from nearly 14,000 real buyers.
You don’t have to worry about preheating your air fryer like you would with an oven. Just load your food, set the time and temperature – and your food starts cooking right away.
The Dash air fryer comes with a 12-month warranty and you can double that warranty by registering your purchase with the manufacturer.
If you’re wondering about how much food you can cook, this air fryer can handle a full pound of fries, or a dozen chicken wings at once. Enjoy crispy fried food like sweet potatoes and other veggies, chicken, fries, tofu, steak and seafood. You can also make glorious appetizers and baked desserts too.
It’s about half the weight of a standard air fryer. So it’s perfect for smaller kitchens, first apartments, trailers, cabins – and more.
Feast all you want – without the usual greasy mess and set up time. This one comes equipped with non-slip seat so it’s stable on your countertop. Also included is a recipe book with 15 recipes to get you started on your air frying journey.
– Takes up very little space
– Sleek and stylish design
– Lightweight and easy to handle
– Easy to clean
– Auto shut off feature is handy
– Great for one and maybe two (not too big) servings
– Much faster more efficient than a toaster oven
– Can be a bit of a pain for some when you have to toss the food every five minutes
– Good for one person with an average appetite (a bachelor’s dream)
– Numbers on the timer are difficult to read for those with ageing eyes
– Nonstick coating on the basket can come off
– 15 recipes is not a lot (but it will get you going)
#4: Elite Gourmet 2.1 Quart Compact Space Saving Air Fryer
Elite Gourmet’s 2.1 quart capacity fryer actually accommodates 1 ½ pounds of food in a single batch. Size wise – this one measures 8 inches wide by 9.7 inches deep by 11 inches tall. It comes in four different finishes – including black, blue/gray, mint and red.
The basket features a PFOA and PTFE-free nonstick coated. It’s a good option for healthier fried food. You get a similar flavor and crispy finish without the added calories.
This air fryer has earned a 4.5 star rating with well over 4000 customers reporting.
You can fry, grill, bake and roast in this all-in-one compact air fryer. Enjoy guilt-free crispy veggies, fish fillets, chicken tenders, tater tots – and more – without the extra oil. With a cool-touch handle, you safely remove any just-cooked food without worry.
What’s In The Box?
Elite Gourmet 2.1 quart capacity air fryer
Removable drawer pan
One year (US-based) customer support
For anyone living alone, this could be an excellent option. It’s easy to use and allows you to get deliciously-crispy foods like chicken wings and sweet potato fries that some say tastes even better than any restaurant.
It’s important to shake your food halfway because the heating element is on top and you want to make sure all the food inside the fryer cooks evenly.
– Easy to use
– Easy to clean
– Perfect for the office (so you can enjoy hot lunches)
– Comes with the recipe book with clear instructions and cooking times provided
– Perfect little air fryer for popcorn shrimp and tater tot’s
– Enough room for two servings inside
– Does an excellent job on chicken wings and chicken fingers
– Mechanical dial is easy to use
– Maximum temperature is 395°F (this is a little lower then what is typically available)
– Wording on the air fryer can wear off making it impossible to set the time accurately
#5: Black & Decker Purify 2 Liter Electric Air Fryer
This compact Black and Decker model is another compact air fryer that scores a solid 4.5 out of 5 possible stars. And this rating comes from a little over 900 actual customer reviews.
Overall dimensions measure 13inches x 13 inches x 15 inches tall and it weighs in at 12 pounds.
Temperatures vary from 175° up to 400°F – which is similar to other air fryers. But this model also comes equipped with a 60-minute timer – an added feature that is not often available on other small air fryers. Also included are indicator lights showing when the unit is powered on and when the optimum temperature has been reached. And the automatic timer shuts down the unit as soon as the food has completed its cycle.
It’s a slightly heavier than the competition. But it’s a well-built, small air fryer that provides plenty of versatility. It also comes with a two-year warranty whereas most manufacturers only offer one year of protection.
Food in an air fryer like the Black & Decker takes a lot less time to cook than a traditional oven. And this one is perfect for anything from vegetables to French fries, chicken nuggets, chicken wings, crispy shrimp – and even burgers. You can also easily reheat leftovers you’ve brought from the restaurant.
A cool touch handle is built-in, allowing you to retrieve freshly-cooked and piping-hot food safely. And the 60 minute timer allows for a more diverse range of cooking options. It’s more or less a “set it and forget it” type of machine, although you do need to shake it up so everything cooks evenly.
This 2 L air fryer (which holds about 8 cups) is perfect for main dishes and snacks. You can air-fry two rather large potatoes – or up to eight chicken wings in a single session.
What’s In The Box?
2 L capacity removable basket
What really sets this Black and Decker air fryer apart from most is that it actually has two built-in convection fans. Most air fryers only have one. With double the capability – this air fryer does a better job of heating the air more efficiently. The result is crispy, delicious food without the guilt – in less time.
– Food comes out crispy and tasty with no oil
– Very little external odor from this air fryer (although some smells are difficult to contain)
– Easy to set up quickly (Simple no fuss operation)
– Clean up as easy (inner components can be washed by hand – outside can be wiped down)
– You don’t have to worry about splashing oil or cleaning up a greasy mess
– Light indicates when the desirable cooking temperature has been reached
– It’s an attractive looking egg-shaped appliance
– Easy to figure out the LED display
– Does a great job with homemade breaded veggies, fresh cut fries and chicken
– Relatively inexpensive
– Seems to last longer than others with several customers reporting having their Black & Decker air fryer for several years and they are still going strong
– Good option for beginners
– French toast sticks and frozen foods turn out excellent in this air fryer
– Cooks faster than conventional ovens, although not as fast as a microwave
– Simple to use (set the time and temperature insert your food and away you go)
– Plenty of recipes you can access online
– Nonstick basket is easy to clean
– Can put out significant heat through the vents (so be careful)
– Cleaning the pan can be a challenge
– Temperature settings can be difficult to read for some (graphics are small)
– Pulling out the cooking tray may require two hands
– Some say it has a burning plastic smell when it’s new
– Items need to be flipped or shaken frequently to cook evenly
– Crispy, but not quite the same as deep-fried
When it comes to the best small air fryer available today, you could choose any one of the top 5 we’ve highlighted and chances are – you would be delighted with your purchase. What it really boils down to are the details and personal preference.
If you want a reliable, compact size air fryer, it’s a safe bet to choose the GoWISE USA Electric Mini Air Fryer or the Dash Compact Air Fryer – 2 Quart Capacity. But the other air fryers on our list have thrilled thousands of customers too.
If you want maximum cooking efficiency, the Black and Decker air fryer with its dual heating elements makes a lot of sense.