If you are looking for some comfort food, you can't go wrong with this delicious combination of bolognese and risotto with a cheesy topping, great for a midweek meal
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium red peppers (capsicums)
- 8 oz risotto rice
- 2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes (tinned)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups beef stock
- 7 tbsp whole milk
- olive oil for frying
Prepare the vegetables
- Finely slice the red onion
- Peel and dice the carrots
- Dice the red peppers (capsicum)
- Crush the garlic cloves
- Heat the olive oil in a large, wide, hob safe casserole dish, then add the capsicum, carrots, garlic and onion. Cook for 10 minutes or so on a medium heat, stirring frequently
- Once the vegetables have softened and turned a light color, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the tomato puree and risotto rice, and stir for 2-3 minutes until the rice goes translucent.
- Increase the heat to high and add in the wine, ensure to stir it constantly whilst it bubbles and reduces
- Once the wine has been reduced to about half its volume, add the mince and break it up with the rice and vegetables
- Reduce to a low-medium heat and add the chopped tomatoes, worcestershire sauce and half the stock, stirring to combine, and then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the remaining stock and milk in small increments, constantly stirring as the risotto thickens. It should take between 40 and 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ fan/gas 7 so it is ready to go.
- Once the rice is firm (easy to bite), sprinkle an even layer of grated cheese over the rice.
- Bake in the oven for 11-16 minutes until the cheese has melted and turned golden and the risotto is bubbly
You can make this and keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking, just remember to give it more time as it will take longer to heat