Lazy Man's Mussels
Delicious mussels cooked in a spicy tomato sauce. This is just like eating in a restaurant, and is so easy to make. Add garlic bread to soak up the spicy tomato sauce
- 1 Chopping board
- 1 Large Sauce Pan
- 1 Oven tray
- 1 kg Mussels
- 1 Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tin Tomato & basil sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 loaf Garlic bread
- pinch Salt
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Place the garlic bread on a baking tray and cook for 15-20 minutes.1 loaf Garlic bread
Tomato & Mussel Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.olive oil
- Peel and chop the onion and add them to the sauce pan, slowly caramelizing them.1 Onion
- Add the garlic paste and stir to cook.4 cloves Garlic
- Let it cook for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant then add the wine.1/2 cup dry white wine
- Open the tin of tomato & bail sauce and add to the pot along with the salt.1 tin Tomato & basil sauce
- Stir the sauce, cover with the lid and increase the heat to high.
- Cook until the sauce reaches a boil, then reduce to a heavy simmer.
- While the soup heats up, remove the beards from the mussels (remove any thread) and gently scrape of any barnacles. Rinse them with cold water to clean. If any mussels are open tap them is they close then they're fine to eat. If they stay open discard them,1 kg Mussels
- Once the soup is simmering add the mussels. Cook them until all of the mussels have opened. (if most have open then discard the ones that stay closed).
- Ladle the mussels and tomato soup into a bowl and serve up with the toasty garlic bread.